Last week, we learned all about the immune system and the important job it does to keep us well. But what can we do to help our immune system help us?
Eating a healthy balanced diet, getting enough sleep and exercising regularly are some of the most important ways to help keep our immune system strong and reduce our chances of infection and disease.
Getting a good night’s sleep isn’t only important for a strong immune system but for our overall physical and emotional/mental health.
Watch the video below to find out why sleep is so important.
Here are ten top tips to help you get a better night’s sleep:
1. Get some sunlight first thing in the morning
2. Get some exercise during the day
3. Avoid taking LONG naps during the day (power naps of less than 30mins are fine)
4. Try to go to bed and wake up at the same time each day
5. Avoid eating right before bed – try and leave 3-4 hours between eating and sleeping
6. Avoid drinking liquids right before bed – try to leave 1-2 hours before going to bed
7. Put away electronic devices (phones, computers/tablets, T.V) 30 minutes before bedtime to reduce your exposure to blue light
8. Try to keep your bedroom as quiet and as dark as possible, and keep the temperature of cool
9. Try to clear your mind before bed – doing breathing exercises, meditating or reading a story/novel is great for this
10. If possible, take a relaxing bath or shower before bed
Find out more about sleep and try out some fun learning activities here: