FAQ’s from Parents: Struggling with learning?

One of the most frequently asked questions we receive from parents is: “What if I think my child is struggling with learning? What extra help can they receive?”


In the previous year, it was estimated that 15% of all school children in the UK had Special Educational Needs (SEN). As a parent, you may feel that your child is struggling with the school curriculum.  These are some of the things, you can do:


1) The best source of knowledge is your child’s school. It is best if you ask to make an appointment to speak with your child’s teacher (or: form teacher if your child is in secondary) to know more about the progress your child is making and if the teachers have spotted difficulties in learning from the child too. 


2) Most schools use a ‘pupil tracking’ system, an online database, which tracks the academic progress pupils are making on the basis of regular testing that is done in class. As a parent, you can ask to view the academic tracking data of your child.


3) If your child is attending one of our Learning Hubs, they can receive 1-2-1 support within academic areas from a volunteer tutor. Before your meeting with your child’s teacher, you can discuss with us what questions to ask.  If you want  to register your child in one of our Learning Hubs or would like some advice on how to speak to your child’s teacher, please call 0191/273 2229 or e-mail:info@s4a.org.uk


4) You can find more information about SEN (Special Education Needs) and help with support of your child educational needs, via this link:


No comments yet.

Leave a Reply